This virtual workshop will provide Paramedics with background theory and hands-on practice in incident analysis using Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and in proactive risk assessment using Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Centre for Paramedic Education and Research has approved this workshop for 10 CME credits
- Health Sciences North Centre for Prehospital Care has approved this workshop for 10 CME credits
- Regional Paramedic Program for Eastern Ontario has approved this workshop for 8 CME credits
We Will Come to You Virtually!
If you would like ISMP Canada to arrange a virtual education workshop for your organization, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incident Analysis – Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
The workshop curriculum is derived from the Canadian Incident Analysis Framework.
We’re all human – errors happen. In our field, when errors happen, they can have traumatic consequences. In this hands-on workshop, we will analyze adverse events in a way that takes the blame away from the individual and evaluates them using a systematic approach. “What was the expected outcome and why did that not happen?” On Day 1, participants will learn how to conduct a Root Cause Analysis and we’ll use diagramming to deconstruct and understand how adverse events occur.
Proactive Risk Assessment Using Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
The workshop curriculum is derived from the Canadian Failure Mode and Effects Analysis Framework Version II (2016).
Day 2 builds on the principles learned on Day 1, with a change in focus to proactive risk assessment and process redesign. What do we know about system failures and how can we identify problems before they occur? Through interactive activities, participants will use a technique called Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) to design processes that take human factors into account and decrease the likelihood of a failure impacting a patient.
Audience: Paramedics, physicians, risk managers, patient safety officers, and other health care professionals.
Workshop Level: Introductory
- Day 1: 9:00 am to 3:30 pm (Eastern Time)
- Day 2: 9:00 am to 2:00 pm (Eastern Time)
Day 1: Incident Analysis - Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
Learning Objectives for RCA:
- How systems theory and human factors principles impact error potential and solution development
- Why it is important to consider the full incident management continuum
- How to complete a system-based analysis
- How to redesign systems for safety
Day 2: Proactive Risk Assessment Using Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
Learning Objectives for FMEA:
- Identify processes suitable for analysis using FMEA
- Describe the steps required to complete an FMEA
- Map out a process and identify potential failure modes
- Develop redesign strategies based on systems theory and basic human factors principles
- Apply principles learned to support medication safety activities in their practice setting
To attend a virtual workshop, you will need the following:
- Computer with internet connection, speakers, webcam and microphone
- Computer printer, if available but not required
Materials that will be provided to you electronically are:
- Canadian Incident Analysis Framework
- Canadian Failure Mode and Effects Analysis Framework
- Workshops handouts
- Workshop cases (for hands-on practice)
- Certificate of Completion will be forwarded to the participant within 14 days of workshop
Registration: November 3 & 4, 2022
If require another method of payment or any assistance, please contact email@example.com
- Notice of all cancellations must be provided in writing at least 21 days prior to the event. A $75 administration fee will apply to all refunds. There are no refunds for registrants who cancel after the cancellation deadline.
- Registrants may postpone attendance to a future workshop however a $75 administration fee will apply if notice of postponement is received less than 21 days prior to the event.
- ISMP Canada reserves the right to cancel or reschedule workshops. In the event of a cancellation, fees paid will be credited towards a future workshop, or fully refunded.