Incident Analysis in Long-Term Care
A Live Facilitated Virtual Workshop for Health Care Professionals
April 4, 2023Register
This workshop provides those working in long-term care (LTC) with theory and hands-on practice in incident analysis (root cause analysis).
Incident Analysis is a tool to investigate errors in healthcare through identifying the key contributing factors and developing actions to address them. Content includes a step-by-step approach using the Canadian Incident Analysis Framework, including a focus on human factors and quality improvement.
Participants practice the incident analysis process through interactive exercises and group work.
We Will Come to You Virtually!
If you would like ISMP Canada to arrange a virtual education workshop for your organization, please email us at email@example.com.
The program begins with discussion of a case study including an explanation of the steps taken to recognize and respond to a harm event. Afterward, we move into understanding the concepts that underly incident analysis including how and why care does not always go as intended. Participants will learn how to conduct an analysis through interactive exercises and group work. The workshop will cover diagramming to support incident analysis, identification of contributing factors, summarizing findings, and developing and implementing recommended actions.
Audience: Anyone working in long-term care including administrators involved with investigations, risk management, incident analysis, and medication safety who is interested in learning how to analyze factors that did or could contribute to resident safety incidents.
Workshop Level: Introductory
9:00 am to 3:00 pm (Eastern Time)
Incident Analysis in Long-Term Care
- Understand and explain how the way systems are designed may lead to harm
- Understand and explain how human factors can make it difficult to keep residents safe and what to do about it
- Apply theoretical concepts about resident harm to determine when and how to respond using incident analysis
- Participate in a case study to support learning about incident analysis
To attend a virtual workshop, you will need the following:
- Computer with internet connection, speakers, webcam and microphone
- Computer printer, if available but not required
Materials that will be provided to you electronically are:
- Canadian Incident Analysis Framework
- Workshop handouts
- Workshop resources
- Workshop cases (for hands-on practice)
- Certificate of Completion will be provided to the participant within 14 days of workshop
Receive complimentary hardcopy of the Canadian Incident Analysis Framework booklet (A $40 value) for the cost of shipping ($18/booklet) Order here
Registration: April 4, 2023
- Complimentary for Ontario LTC participants*
- $500 + tax for LTC participants located outside of Ontario
*For participants working in the LTC sector in Ontario, there is no registration cost for the workshop. The Ministry of Long-Term Care in Ontario is providing funding support for this educational opportunity.
If require another method of payment or any assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Notice of all cancellations must be provided in writing at least 21 days prior to the event. A $75 administration fee will apply to all refunds. There are no refunds for registrants who cancel after the cancellation deadline.
- Registrants may postpone attendance to a future workshop however a $75 administration fee will apply if notice of postponement is received less than 21 days prior to the event.
- ISMP Canada reserves the right to cancel or reschedule workshops. In the event of a cancellation, fees paid will be credited towards a future workshop, or fully refunded.